Solar Energy for Electrification in Central Momi Villages, Hadibu District, Socotra, Yemen
Solar Energy for Electrification in Central Momi Villages, Hadibu District, Socotra, Yemen
The project targeting 74 homes in 19 villages in central Momi plateau in eastern Socotra. The use of solar energy for rural electrification is growing in Socotra after communities awareness of the efficacy of renewable energy and its impact on families livelihood. The communities main occupation is herding livestock and limited numbers practice seasonal fishing. Most homes have no access to electricity and only few had small generators the operates with traditional fuel and run only for several hours in the evening. Few families transferred solar system from another village where SGP funded a previous project.
The project will benefit 74 household, including 74 families and 825 inhabitants (407 M & 418F). The project will assist local community in the 19 Central Momi villages to acquire solar systems for home electrification including solar modules 130wp and dry batteries of 100AH. The project will save the environment the emission of 58.24 tons/year of CO2. Community are aware of the importance of project sustainability hence a revolving fund mechanism will be established through a monthly subscription of YER1,000/system/month. Environmental awareness will be raised among all benefitieries towards environmental sustainability, CO2 reduction, climate change mitigation and wider environment.
The project will conduct the following activities:
- Equipping 74 homes in Central Momi with solar systems.
- Raise Environment awareness among 150 men and women.
- Ensure project sustainability.
 
Loading map...

Project Snapshot

Grantee:
Kelisen Charitable Society for Development
Country:
Yemen
Area Of Work:
Climate Change Mitigation
Grant Amount:
US$ 47,799.00
Co-Financing Cash:
US$ 20,651.00
Co-Financing in-Kind:
US$ 5,530.00
Project Number:
YEM/SGP/OP5/CORE/CC/Y4/15/07
Status:
Satisfactorily Completed
Project Characteristics and Results
Notable Community Participation
Community participated in the co-financing of project through advance payment of 28% cash and 7% in-kind. Total co-financing = 35%.
Policy Impact
Due to shortage of electric power in the county, government issue a new decree to promote the use of renewable energy. Further, there is a policy targeting the electrification of remote and rural areas using renewable energy.
+ View more
Indicators
Biophysical
Tonnes of CO2 decreased or avoided by energy efficient and renewable energy technologies or applying environmentally sustainable transport practices introduced by SGP Project 58240
Empowerment
Number of CBOs / NGOs participated / involved in SGP project 1
Livehood
Total monetary value (US dollars) of ecosystem goods sustainably produced and providing benefit to project participants and/or community as a whole (in the biodiversity, international waters, and land degradation focal areas as appropriate) 14475

Partnership

Benefiting Communities

Grantee Contact

Mr. Qasim Isa Qasim Salem
Phone: +967 770764848
 

Address

Momi Plateau
Hadibu District, , Socotra Governorate ,

SGP Country office contact

Mr. Omar Ali Saeed Al Saghier
Phone:
+ 967 448605 Extn. 440
Fax:
+ 967 448841
Email:
Mr. Bashar Sallam
Phone:
00967 (1) 448605/6 Extn. 441
Email:

Address

C/o UNDP, 60 meter Road, P. O. Box 551
Sana'a, Sana'a